Skip to main content

Student Success: Paying for School

Financial Aid and Scholarships at EVC

Finding money to pay for school can be a challenge. Luckily, EVC offers Financial Aid and Scholarships for future and current students.

Here are the types of financial aid available at EVC:

Board of Governors Fee Waiver 

California residents may apply for the California Community Colleges Board of Governors Fee Waiver, which waives the $46 per unit enrollment fee.

Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant is the largest grant program in the country.  It is the foundation for an award package.  Pell Grants provide financial assistance to eligible part-time and full-time students, and are calculated based on enrollment status and Expected Family Contribution (EFC).  The maximum award amount for the 2014-2015 school year is $5730. 

A Federal Pell Grant does not have to be repaid (in most cases). Federal Pell Grants are awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or a professional degree.


The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant is a limited grant for Pell-eligible students with the lowest EFCs who meet the priority deadlines and are enrolled in at least six units.

Federal Work Study

The Federal Work Study Program provides jobs for students who demonstrate financial need and are enrolled in at least six units.  Eligible students apply for work study positions either on or off campus.  For more information go to the Federal Work Study page here.

Cal Grant B & C

Cal Grant B provides a living allowance and tuition and fee assistance for low-income students. Awards for most first-year students are limited to an allowance for books and living expenses.  For Cal Grant B, your coursework must be for at least one academic year.

There are two types of Cal Grant B awards: Entitlement and Competitive. There is also a Cal Grant B award for students transferring from a California Community College to a four-year college.

For more information about Cal Grant B & C, click here.

Federal Direct Student Loans

Federal Direct Student Loans are low-interest loans for students to help pay for the cost of college education.  The lender is the U.S. Department of Education.  For more information please go to the Student Loan page here.

CA Dream Act

The California Dream Act allows students who meet AB 540 criteria to apply for and receive state-funded financial aid such as the Board of Governors Fee Waiver, Cal Grant and Chafee Grant and EOPS assistance. 

California Chafee Grant

If you are or were in foster care and have financial need, you may qualify for up to $5000 a year for career and technical training or college. You don't have to pay this money back.  You may also be able to use your grant to help pay for child care, transportation and rent while you're in school.  You can your Chafee Grant at any eligible California college or university or career or technical school, as well as schools in other states.

How to Apply

 For step by step instructions see Financial Aid and Scholarships

Apply online at  The FAFSA includes:

  • Board of Governors Fee Waiver
  • Pell Grant & FSEOG*
  • Work Study*
  • Direct Loans*
  • Cal Grant *

CA Dream Act applicants must complete the CA Dream Act Application. The CA Dream Act Application includes:

  • Board of Governors Fee Waiver
  • Cal Grant*
  • EOPS*

 In addition to completing the FAFSA application, students wishing to to get the Board of Governors Fee Waiver must complete this application.

*Additional forms are required for this type of financial aid.

Books at the Library